Subject: [council] New Website Tools To Assist with Voting Remedies
From: "Liz Gasster" <[email-masked]>
To: "Council GNSO" <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 15:39:30 -0400

GNSO Council

Stakeholder Group Leaders

Constituency Leaders

Subject:  Website Tools to Assist with Voting Remedies due to Abstentions,
Absences, and Vacancies

Staff has just completed development of two new website tools to help
Councilors, SGs, and Constituencies navigate the new GNSO voting remedy
procedures related to abstentions, absences and vacancies.  They are:  
 
1)  Abstentions Procedures Visual Map:  A color graphic depicting the steps
required to exercise voting remedies due to abstentions, absences, and
vacancies; and

2)  GNSO Council Abstention Notification Form:  An on-line form to be
completed by an SG/C officer notifying the GNSO Secretariat of an intention
to execute a voting remedy related to a declared abstention.  
 
Both of these tools can be accessed from:
http://gnso.icann.org/council/docs.html (see Abstentions Guidelines for the
direct links).
 
Descriptions/Directions:

The Visual Map is an attempt to describe the conditions/steps required to
exercise a voting remedy of which there are three types:  (a) voting
direction, (b) proxy, and (c) temporary alternate.   You'll notice that
icons have been added in key places which, when moused-over, will pop-up
additional explanations consistent with the actual procedures
(http://gnso.icann.org/council/gnso-op-procedures-05aug10-en.pdf).  
 
At the bottom of the map, the block labeled "Abstentions Notification Form"
(see curved red lines) is a hyperlink to the online form, so that users do
not have to back-up to the preceding page.   We will be adding an
instruction at the top of the form to make it clear that this form is to be
completed ONLY by a SG or Constituency officer.    It is NOT completed by an
individual Councilor.   
 
Once submitted, the online form will automatically be forwarded to the
Secretariat with a confirmation to the sender.   

Given the need to begin using these tools as early as the upcoming meeting
on 26 August, there was only time to perform limited testing.   As a result,
there may be additional "tweaks" needed as we gain experience with the new
procedures.    Staff remains open to any/all comments or suggestions that
you may have on either tool.  

For anyone who intends to utilize these new procedures for the upcoming
Council meeting and would like assistance with the emails/forms, please do
not hesitate to contact Ken Bour [[email-masked]; 703-430-4059].  

Thanks, Liz Gasster