Subject: [gnso-improvem-impl-sc] For Review: Waiver of 10-Day Motion Deadline and Resubmission of Motions
From: Julie Hedlund <[email-masked]>
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2015 20:11:09 +0000
List-Id: [email-masked]

Dear SCI members,

The SCI members on the call on 23 July (Avri Doria, Amr Elsadr, Angie
Graves, Lori Schulman, Ken Stubbs, and Rudi Vansnick (Vice Chair)) discussed
the issue of whether the waiver of the 10-day deadline for submitting
motions should apply to resubmitted motions.  After some discussion there
was consensus of the members on the call with the suggestion from
Wolf-Ulrich Knoben on the list that the SCI should not recommend a change to
the GNSO Operating Procedures at this time with respect to this issue.
However, they agreed that the SCI should send a response to the Council
emphasizing that after a review of the GNSO Operating Procedures it is clear
that the waiver of the 10-day deadline for submission of motions does not
apply to resubmitted motions.  The SCI also could note in its response that
although changes are not recommended at this time, the SCI could revisit the
issue if requested by the Council and, specifically, if there is a
contentious issue that warrants it.

The SCI members on the call also agreed that it would be better not to send
the response to the GNSO Council until the SCI has decided how to address
the second issue, which concerns the current informal customs relating to
amendments to motions.  This would enable the SCI to send its
recommendations concerning both issues to the Council at the same time.

Please indicate on the list whether you agree with this approach,
particularly those SCI members who were not on the call on 23 July.

Thank you very much for your assistance.

Best regards,
Julie

Julie Hedlund, Policy Director