Subject: [Gnso-newgtld-dg] - Staff input to GNSO Discussion Group on New gTLD Subsequent Procedures and DG Status Update
From: Steve Chan <[email-masked]>
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2015 19:38:08 +0000
List-Id: <gnso-newgtld-dg.icann.org>

Dear DG Members,

Please see the message below from GDD staff, along with the attached
supporting document. As was discussed at ICANN 51 in Los Angeles, GDD staff
is providing input to the work of the DG.

Also, please find a link to Annex A from a Board resolution from 17 November
2014, which was already shared, but may warrant additional review:
https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/resolutions-annex-a-17nov14-en.p
df

I would also like to take this opportunity to discuss the status of the DG
as there has not been a meeting since the face to face session in Los
Angeles. Staff is currently preparing some materials for the group to review
and comment on, which includes  the following drafts:
1. A document to summarize the work of this group, which will include
background, where we started, and where we intend to conclude.
2. A matrix with all of the original GNSO 2007 recommendations with the DG¹s
issues associated with the most appropriate recommendation. Further, the
issues will either fall under a category of policy update/clarification or
implementation advice. Where an  issue does not appear to map to a
recommendation, it may be an indication that new policy work may be
warranted.
3. A charter-like document that will provide additional information
regarding each high level issue, such as a detailed description of the
issue, the scope of the issue (e.g., parties affected, quantification of
impact, etc.), relative importance and complexity,  and proposed questions
or considerations that may be used for a potential PDP effort.
Staff will develop skeletons/examples of 2 and 3 to ensure that adequate
feedback from the DG is obtained before a more finalized and comprehensive
draft is prepared. This set of materials is expected to be shared shortly
after the ICANN 52 meeting for  discussion amongst the group.

Please note that the chair of this group has consulted with staff to decline
having a face to face session in Singapore. However, the group will resume
DG meetings in earnest shortly after ICANN 52 and hopefully make progress on
the email list discussing  the input from GDD staff, as well as the proposed
approach described above.

Best,
Steve

From: Karen Lentz <[email-masked]>
Date: Friday, January 23, 2015 at 3:40 PM
To: Steve Chan <[email-masked]>
Subject: Staff input to GNSO Discussion Group on New gTLD Subsequent
Procedures

Dear Steve,
 
As mentioned during the GNSO sessions during ICANN 51 in Los Angeles, GDD
staff is following the work of the Discussion Group and has offered to
provide input at any point where it is helpful to the group¹s process.
Since that time, a  group of staff members with experience in execution of
the current application round has met to review the list of issues
identified by the DG to date, and to identify any considerations that may
contribute to the group¹s discussions.
 
The attached document includes an initial set of inputs to the group.  The
notes included here are organized based on the mind map
<http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/gnso-newgtld-dg/2014-December/000129.html>
prepared during the initial discussions of the DG.   As described in the
document, the objective of this input is to offer questions and
considerations based on staff experiences with the  issues identified to
date by the group.  The feedback presented is meant to raise questions for
the DG¹s consideration, rather than suggesting outcomes.  With these
contributions, staff¹s aim is to ensure that experience from the current
round is reflected  in areas where the group may be considering proceeding
with policy work.
 
We hope this is a useful contribution and would be happy to discuss or
provide any additional information as desired.
 
Best regards,
Karen
 
-
 
Karen Lentz
Director, Operations & Policy Research
 
ICANN
12025 E. Waterfront Drive, Suite 300
Los Angeles, CA  90094
+1 310 301 5836 office
+1 310 895 3637 mobile
[email-masked]