Subject: FW: [Idngwg] FW: [Ext] Follow up on IDN Implementation Guidelines
From: "Pitinan Kooarmornpatana" <[email-masked]>
To: "Sarmad Hussain" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2018 06:16:42 -0700

FYI

-----Original Message-----
From: Idngwg <[email-masked]> on behalf of Sarmad Hussain 
<[email-masked]>
Date: Friday, March 30, 2018 at 06:54
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Subject: [Idngwg] FW: [Ext] Follow up on IDN Implementation Guidelines

    Dear All,

    Kindly find an email directed to IDNGWG from JPRS below.

    Regards,
    Sarmad

    -----Original Message-----
    From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
    Sent: Friday, March 30, 2018 1:41 PM
    To: Mats Dufberg <[email-masked]>
    Cc: Sarmad Hussain <[email-masked]>; Pitinan Kooarmornpatana 
<[email-masked]>
    Subject: [Ext] Follow up on IDN Implementation Guidelines

    Dear IDN guidelines working group,

    Please refer to the following comments and proposal.
    The comments and proposal are being sent to you, following your suggestion 
made in IDN Guidelines Working Group meeting in San Juan.

    In the working group meeting, the essence was orally stated by Hiro Hotta, 
JPRS in the meeting room.

    I hope this may be of help to you.

    [Summary]

    1. As described in current guidelines, the issues of visually confusable
       characters are not specific to the cases with commingled use of
       multiple scripts.

       We believe Japanese domain labels fall on the exceptional cases
       stated in Guideline#15.
       Kanji, Hiragana, and Katakana scrips are daily used in a
       commingled manner based on established orthographies and
       conventions in Japan. Such comingled use is allowed even in
       single words. This means Japanese people consider the collective
       set of Kanji, Hiragana, and Katakana characters to belong to ONE
       script in constituting Japanese words, just as native English
       writers/readers consider English characters to belong to ONE
       script.

       Therefore, in the case where comingled use of UNICODE scripts is
       allowed by Guideline#15, restrictions (if any) should be the same
       as in the case of one UNICODE script in constituting domain
       labels.

    2. In Additional Note IV, the guidelines of visually confusable
       characters are described. We think they are the good notes because
       the issues of visually confusable characters are clearly pointed.

       Taking into account the fact that issues of visually confusable
       characters reside both in the case of a single UNICODE script and
       in the case where comingled UNICODE scripts are allowed, we think
       the sentence "must not be allowed to" is overdescribed in
       guideline#16.

    [Suggestion]

      We would like to propose as follows.

      - The guideline#16 is removed from section 2.5.2 and is moved to
        a newly created section between 2.5.2 and 2.5.3. The new section
        is headlined as "2.5.X Visually confusable characters".

      - The guideline#16 will be modified as follows.
        -------------------------------------------------------------------
        16.
        Visually confusable characters had better not co-exist in a single
        set of permissible code points. TLD registries should clearly
        define a corresponding policy and IDN Table to minimize confusion
        between domain names. Also see Additional Note IV.
        -------------------------------------------------------------------

    Thanks for your consideration.
    ----
    Yoshitaka Okuno
    Manager, Services Development Department Japan Registry Services Co., Ltd.

    _______________________________________________
    Idngwg mailing list
    [email-masked]
    https://mm.icann.org/mailman/listinfo/idngwg